The header and footer menu bar or the navigation bar is very important for your niche website. In this article, I will explain, step by step how to set up a header and footer menu for your niche website using WordPress and generatepress.
If you are new to blogging and niche sites, follow an article on how to set up a niche website step by step. And our target audience for these niche websites is the United States of America.
For a website, navigation options are quite important for your users or readers. They can easily go to their favorite topics by using the navigation menus.
A navigation bar is not only important for the readers, it is also quite important when you will apply your site for the Google Adsense program. If you will not have a proper site navigation menu, then your site might get rejected for Adsense with an error saying “Site Behavior: Navigation“.
And both the menus look like the below:
We will see here, how we can create a navigation menu like the above on our WordPress website.
Create header and footer menu in WordPress
Now, let us see, how to create a header and footer menu in WordPress. First, we will create the header menu and then we will create the footer menu.
How to create a header menu on a WordPress website
Let us how to create a header menu for our niche website. Here mostly, I have added the main Categories into the header menu.
If you have not yet created any Categories, then follow the below steps to add the categories that you want to add to the navigation menu.
- Open the WordPress Admin area, then expand Posts -> Categories. This will show you all your categories and also allow options to add a new category.
- Here provide a name for the category, slug (URL), parent category, and a short description. It looks like the below:
- This way, I have created all the required categories on my WordPress niche website.
Once we have created our categories, now we can create the main menu.
- From your website admin area, click on Appearance -> Menus. If you do not see the Menus options, make sure to check if you have installed the GeneratePress theme or not. Once you will install it, the option should appear.
- By default, it will show to create your first menu. You will be able to see the Menu name, Menus (Home & Sample Page).
- From the left site, you can add menus from the Pages, Posts, Custom Links & Categories section.
- Here, I have customized the menu, like I have added the Home menu option from the Pages tab.
- Then from the Posts, I have added a particular page to the menu, in this case, the page is “Niche Site Case Study”.
- And then I selected all the categories from the Categories tab like below.
- Then click on “Create Menu“, which will create our menu.
- If you want to change the order or change the menu label, click on the Menu and change the label from Navigation Label.
- You can use the Up one, down one links to re-order the menu. And in case you want to remove the menu, click on the Remove link below:
- This is how to create a custom menu on the WordPress website.
Create a footer menu on WordPress website
You can follow the exact steps and create another menu. Click on the create a new menu link and it will create another menu.
On the footer menu, I have added all the pages like:
- Sitemap, etc.
All the pages, I have added as menu items from the Pages tab. And the footer menu structure looks like the below:
So, by this time, our header and footer menu has been created.
Next, we will see, how to add these two menus into the Primary navigation and in the footer bar on our WordPress website.
Configure Header and Footer Menu in GeneratePress
Let us know, how to configure the menus in generatepress.
- Open your WordPress admin area, then click on Appearance -> Customize. This will open the Customization page. Here click on Menus.
- Here you will be able to see your Main Menu has been set as your primary menu. It should look like the below:
- If you have multiple menus, you can see your Menus like below:
Setting up the primary menu or the main menu is quite straightforward in generatepress WordPress theme.
Follow the below steps to add the footer menu on the footer bar
- From the same customization page, click on Widgets.
- Then in the Widgets, click on Footer Bar.
- Then in the Footer Bar widget, click on the + Add block icon.
- Here, search for Navigation and you will see the Navigation Menu. Click on it to add the Navigation widget.
- It will display all your menus, select the Menu which you want to appear here. I have chosen here Footer menu.
- Once you select and click on the Publish button.
- Once you click on the Publish button. You will be able to see the Footer menu appears on the Footer bar of your wordpress niche website.
From generatepress theme, this is how to set the header or primary menu and footer menu for your website.
Header and footer menus are an important part of any website, helping to organize content and provide easy access to key areas. Here, I have walk you through how to set up your header and footer menus for your niche website.
The header menu is important as, it allows you to control the user experience and keep them on your site. And it also provides an opportunity to include important pages or links that may not be included in the main navigation bar. When creating a header menu, think about what’s most important to your niche audience and make sure those items are easily accessible.
I hope you got an idea on how to set up header and footer menu for your niche website using WordPress and GeneratePress theme.
You may also like:
- How many articles are enough for your niche website?
- Can you make a lot of money from blogging?
- How to add google analytics code to WordPress website?
- How to Submit Site to Google Search Console and Submit XML Sitemap
- Best blogging course to make money from niche sites
I am Steven Martinez, an online entrepreneur based in New York, United States. As the founder of several successful niche websites, I got the expertise in areas such as making money online, blogging, YouTube, affiliate marketing, and more. Through this website and blog posts, I am trying to provide insightful and actionable tips to help aspiring entrepreneurs, find ways to make money online. Read more.